Freshman year, UCSB. English 1B. The first book I bought for the class was entitled How Does a Poem Mean? The author, John Ciardi explained in his introduction that the title he has chosen is not intended in any way as a verbal trick. He is “interested rather in “How” the poem means, how it goes about being a performance of itself.’
So it is with brands. To an entrepreneur, the how is more important than the what… because the what is just a label. The how is everything else.
• A brand is a promise…kept. More than just a name, it is an assurance; a reason to believe.
• A brand tells your clients and potential clients more than what you sell. It tells them what you stand for.
• A brand engages consumer trust and creates emotional connection. That connection has the power to transcend pricewars and competitive offers…and your occasional oversights or mistakes.
Why is this important? Because in a boundless marketplace, brands rule.
• Brands build name awareness
• Consumers stay loyal to brands – without the need for promotional incentives
• Retailers provide brands greater visibility because brands drive sales. And brand owners don’t need to launch
NEW! offerings…they leverage the brand to grow the business.
Just a little thinking out loud. After all, that’s how a blog means. Til next time. What are you thinking out there? Would love to hear more about brands and blogs and business matters. Take a shot. I’ll listen.